Kurai

Kurai

The Girl with All the Gifts - M.R. Carey

It was so awesome going into this book not really knowing what it was about or anything else about it. It made the beginning especially so much more awesome.

I saw The Girl With All the Gifts advertised in GoodReads' ads on my phone and filed the title away in my brain for another day, and then a little while after it came out, it became one of my birthday book picks. I was very excited when it was chosen for my online book club, and while my expectations were fairly high, I was not disappointed.

I fell in love with the first few chapters of this book as I learned about the world and the people bit by bit through Melanie's eyes, and while I was a bit jarred and disappointed by the changes of POV that take place after the first few chapters, I eventually grew accustomed to it and didn't mind quite as much later on. I loved Melanie's POVs and she was definitely a part of what made this book so awesome for me.

There's also a lot of science in this book, and though I will admit that in parts, it went over my head, I enjoyed what I understood. It was really interesting in parts, and I liked that it felt plausible, or at least was explained in such a way that it did. I loved that the mystery here was unveiled bit by bit through science and through the characters' experiences and observations.

As I mentioned before, I was originally disappointed by the multiple POVs. I was also a bit tripped up by the present tense, at least initially. Instead of flowing in my mind, it really stood out to me and I had a hard time getting past it at first, but eventually the story seemed to flow with it a bit better, and I didn't mind so much after I'd read a bit more of the book.

It's really hard to talk about books that blew you away, but I loved how everything came together. Even though it's been a week since I finished this book, Melanie is still in my head. I can't stop thinking about her.