Kurai

Kurai

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy - Karen Foxlee

I was pre-approved for this title by the publisher via NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book!

Though I didn't read this book from the perspective of someone who has read the original fairy tale, there is so much to love about it. If I had been able to read Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy as a kid, I would have been ecstatic. Swords are and always have been a huge interest of mine, so I really enjoyed that her father is an international swords expert. Ophelia is a great protagonist. She's nerdy, stubborn, and all around fun.

I envisioned the museum from the story's setting as this massive, almost epic place. I loved the descriptions of the different galleries and the museum's seemingly forgotten corners, and loved the concept of the Wintertide Clock.

Foxlee really has a way with words. I was more or less captivated by the story she told. While there were some moments in the prose when it was a bit overly repetitive or where the story was a bit predictable for my taste (which I suspect is partially due to the book being middle grade), I really loved it overall. The descriptions were lyrical and vivid, the characters were distinct and enjoyable, and other than the pace slowing down a bit toward the middle, the book was hard for me to put down.