Kurai

Kurai

A Beautiful Evil - Kelly Keaton

This review is for the second book in the Gods & Monsters series.  My review for the first book, Darkness Becomes Her, is here.

Gods & Monsters was one of my favorite series that I read in 2014, and I am SO FREAKING HAPPY to learn that a fourth book is coming out next month! So now I am finally getting around to writing my reviews for books two and three. :)

I was SO EXCITED to read the second book in the series after I finished Darkness Becomes Her earlier in 2014. This one was a birthday book buy, thanks to my sister and brother-in-law, and it was definitely worthwhile!

A Beautiful Evil is much more slowly paced than its predecessor, but it's still a quick read. The reader gets to learn more about Ari's friends, which I was happy for - that was something we lacked in the first book. While it takes its time doing so, once the action does ramp up, it pretty much doesn't stop.

I LOVE ARI. She's one of the main things I love about these books, and she doesn't disappoint. She's still badass, with a bit of the stubbornness that drives me crazy in most YA heroines. I won't lie - it drove me a bit crazy in this book, too, but Ari is still better than a lot of others who have pissed me off in the past, haha.

It was great to see more of the secondary characters that we didn't get to see much in the first book. I enjoyed getting to learn more about them, too. New 2 is so vivid to me, and I love how it feels like a place where anything is possible. While the conglomeration of different paranormal things (witches and warlocks, vampires, Greek gods... the list goes on) might be a bit too much for some readers, I loved it. Ridiculous, maybe... but also awesome.